Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Unconditional Love is not Fellowship


It is not God's unconditional love that I long for or desire! I have that whether I am a saint or sinner (John 3:16; Romans 5:6-8). What I long for is God himself, namely, communion/ fellowship with Him! And that my friend is NOT unconditional.

Think about the story of the prodigal son in Luke 15:11-24. What did the prodigal long for? His Father's love? No! He knew that was unconditional. His Father loved him even in the far country! However, what he longed for was his Father's companionship (presence): "Make me like one of YOUR hired servants.” He wanted to be where ever the Father was even if it meant being treated like one of his servants! Like the Psalmist, the prodigal understood, "For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness." (Psalms 84:10).

No comments: