Friday, October 5, 2007

Obama Barack's Flag Flack. . .

It is absurd what political pundits find to write about regarding candidates running for office. The latest is Barack’s recent comments about not wearing his flag lapel pin any more, which he did wear following 9-11. For the record, I am not a supporter of Barack, even if Oprah is! However, I think his explanation (see below) for not wearing the flag lapel pin is valid.

… I probably haven't worn a flag pin in a very long time. After a while I noticed people wearing a lapel pin and not acting very patriotic. My attitude is that I'm less concerned about what you're wearing on your lapel than what's in your heart. You show your patriotism by how you treat your fellow Americans, especially those who serve. You show your patriotism by being true to our values and ideals. That's what we have to lead with is our values and our ideals.

I was reminded of a story a friend of mine told me about his son. It was several years ago when the WWJD bracelets were all the rage. His son who was about 8 or 9 years old, while playing some kind of organized football, came across the line and “put the hurts” on the offensive lineman trying to guard him and a scuffle ensued. My friend said he had been watching the two of them all game long. The offensive tackle had been getting the best of him for most of the game. He noticed several times when his son would get up after the play the offensive lineman would say something to him or would purposely bump into him. Finally, his son had all of it he wanted. That’s when he “put the hurt” on him and they began to scuffle a bit before the ref broke it up.

After the game was over my friend was walking off the field with his son. My friend told me he wasn’t going to mention the incident because he felt to some extent it’s all part of the game and the coach had already talked to him about the incident. However, after he looked at his son’s wrist as they were walking to the car and noticed the WWJD bracelet, he couldn’t resist. So with a grin he had to ask, “Son, when you got into that scuffle with that offensive lineman and you were hitting him, I am just curious, were you wearing that What Would Jesus Do bracelet?”

Whether you like Barack as potential candidate or not his explanation about patriotic values and wearing flag lapel pins is right on target. Our patriotism and good citizenship, as an American, is revealed by how we live, respect the law and treat others. Too bad politicians (along with many others) don't make the same connection about their faith. Namely, it’s how you live, respect the laws of the God and treat others that reveals your light as a Christian – not your profession of belief or the wearing of some religious icon, bumper sticker or bracelet. There is a reason Jesus asks, “"Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and not do what I tell you?” (Luke 6:46)

No comments: